Saturday, June 25, 2016

View from page thirty: The Girl in the Photograph



Book: The Girl in the Photograph
Author: Kate Riordan
Genre: Historical fiction

Goodreads synopsis:
In the summer of 1933, Alice Everleigh has arrived at Fiercombe Manor in disgrace. The beautiful house becomes her sanctuary, a place to hide her shame form society in the care of the housekeeper, Mrs Jelphs. But the manor also becomes a place of suspicion, one of secrecy.

Something isn't right.

Someone is watching.

There are secrets that the manor house seems determined to keep. Tragedy haunts the empty rooms and foreboding hangs heavy in the stifling heat. Traces of the previous occupant, Elizabeth Stanton, are everywhere and soon Alice discovers Elizabeth's life eerily mirrors the path she herself is on.

My view from page thirty:
I think I will really enjoy this book, once I get more immersed in it. It takes some time, for me at least, to get used to new writing styles and therefore to be able to fully immerse myself in the story. 

There hasn't happened a lot yet, our main character has gotten pregnant with a married man, and has to be sent away. She has not yet arrived at Fiercombe manor, but it probably won't be long. She can only stay home until she begins to show, because nobody can find out.

This is an adult fiction book, and I don't mind reading them, I'm just not used to it. It's not a book I normally would choose for myself, but my cousin handed it to me and insisted that I try it, so I am. I generally enjoy adult fiction, so I hope that means I will enjoy this book as well.

The book is an historical fiction, and again, something I normally never read. I've read on other historical fiction this year, and I did enjoy that. I hope this will be a good book to read this summer, and I hope it doesn't take too long to get through. My cousin said she finished it in three days, so I don't think it'll take long for me either.

When I finish this book I will write a full review and post that here as well, so keep your eyes peeled for that, if you're interested in hearing more of my thoughts on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment