Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review: The Grapes of Wrath

Title: The Grapes of Wrath
Author: John Steinbeck
Publisher: Penguin Books
Year published: 1939
How I got this book: School Library
Why I read this book: I absolutely love John Steinbeck's writing
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
John Steinbeck's Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression follows the western movement of one family & a nation in search for work and human dignity. Perhaps the most American of American classics. 

The novel focuses on the Joads, a poor family of sharecroppers driven from their Oklahoma home by drought, economic hardship, and changes in financial and agricultural industries. Due to their nearly hopeless situation, and in part because they were trapped in the Dust Bowl, the Joads set out for California. Along with thousands of other "Okies", they sought jobs, land, dignity and a future. 

My thoughts:
Every time I read something John Steinbeck has written, I am amazed by his writing style. To me, the premise of this book sounded boring, but I started to read it and was completely immersed by it.  

His writing is so simple to read, but he makes everything interesting. He makes you care about all the characters in his stories, in this as well. This novella makes you think. I don't even know what to say about this, except that I think everyone should read it. 

I've read a couple of reviews of it, and people seemed to agree that you can't appreciate it until you're 30, and that you shouldn't read before. I disagree with that. I'm 18 and I loves this novella, and it has such a great message, and it criticizes the American Government. Yes, you might appreciate it more when you're older, but speaking as an 18 year old, you don't have to be grown up to do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment