Saturday, May 9, 2015

Review: Slaughterhouse-Five

Title: Slaughterhouse-Five
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Publisher: Delacorte
Year published: 1969
How I got this book: I don't really remember, but I guess I bought it at Bookdepository, since I get most of my books there
Why I read this book: I felt like reading a classic, but I didn't want to dive into a large book.
My rating: 3 stars

Goodreads synopsis: Prisoner of war, optometrist, time-traveller - these are the life roles of Billy Pilgrim, hero of this miraculously moving, bitter and funny story of innocence faced with apocalypse. Slaughterhouse 5 is one of the world's greatest anti-war books. Centering on the infamous fire-bombing of Dresden in the Second World War, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we are afraid to know.


My thoughts: I don't even know what I think about this book. I thought it was a bit confusing, especially with all the time-travelling at seemingly random places. When I first started reading it I didn't understand what was really happening in the story, but as I continued I understood more. This book is definitely a book that will haunt you for a while, and Vonnegut doesn't reveal everything in the book, so you're left wondering what was really going on with some of the characters, especially Billy Pilgrim, the main character.

The writing style was unusual for me, but I did expect that since I mostly read YA. One thing that really annoyed me was "So it goes.". If you've read the book you'll know what I mean. He kept repeating it over and over, and after a while my eyes just jumped straight to the next sentence, because I couldn't be bothered to actually read it.

The characters were the best part of the book for me. I didn't really like Billy in the beginning, he confused me, but after a while I started to feel like I understood him, and I rooted for him all the way. I found most of the characters likeable, or at least I enjoyed reading about them. Paul Lazzaro is an exception here. I thought he was selfish and mean, and I simply did not like him at all. Then we have the Tralfamdorians, and I can't quite decide if I like them or not, I just don't really understand them. Vonnegut did a great job in inventing and writing about them though, I just don't know what I think of them. 

So, I don't really have anything more to say about this book, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who doesn't know what happens in this book. I do think that this is a book everyone should read at least once in their life, and I would recommend it to people. But don't expect a thrilling book, while it was good I didn't really feel like much happened (even though it obviously did). 


Have you read Slaughterhouse-Five? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment