Monday, May 25, 2015

Review: The Assassin's Blade

Title: The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass #0.1-0.5)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Year published: 2015
How I got this book: Bookdepository
Why I read this book: Because it's a part of the Throne of Glass series
My rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:
Celaena Sardothien owes her reputation to Arobynn Hamel. He gave her a home at the Assassin's Guild and taught her the skills she needed to survive.

Arobynn's enemies stretch far and wide - from Adarlan's rooftops and it's filthy dens, to remote islands and hostile deserts. Celaena is duty-bound to hunt them down. But behind her assignments lies a dark truth that will seal her fate - and cut her heart in two forever...

My thoughts:
This book contains 5 novellas, and I will shortly say what I thought of each one.

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1): In this novella we get to meet Sam, while he was alive. We know how he died and how much he meant to Celaena, but nothing else about him or their story. I really liked this, and that we get to know a different Celaena.
4 stars


The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2): This novella happens after the first one, but not immediately. The plot happens over a short period of time, and isn't entirely written through Celaena's point of view, which I really liked.  
5 stars

The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3): In this one I noticed that the novellas are written in chronological order. So this happens after the Assassin and the Healer, but not much later. This novella was a little longer than the first two, at just over 100 pages, but it was really good. We learn so much about Celaena and how she develops as a person and as an assassin. 
4.5 stars

The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4): This was also around 100 pages. Here we meet Sam again and see his and Celaena's relationship developed while she was away, and how it turned to be the relationship she remembers in the main books. It takes place in Rifthold, and is the first of the novellas to do that. We get to really know Arobynn Hamel and learn about him as well.
5 stars

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5): This one completely broke my heart, but it was so wonderful at the same time. Again, this was just over 100 pages, but I wanted it to continue forever, because I knew what would happen before it was done. We learn a lot about Celaena in this one, and how she changes after Sam's death (I don't think of that as a spoiler, since it's mentioned so early in the main books). We also learn about their relationship, and about Sam, and I am absolutely in love with him. I cried so much when he died, and we found out HOW he died.
5 stars

Overall I loved this book, and it was even more action-packed than the main books, because here we just read snippets of what actually happens. I feel like I know Celaena even better know, and understand her actions and thoughts a whole lot better. I read the first three books in the series before this one, but I think you could read it at any time, but you probably should read the first book first since it contains a lot of world-building.  

No comments:

Post a Comment