Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Review: The Archived

Title: The Archived
Author: Victoria Schwab
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Year published: 2013
How I got this book: Bought it on bookdepository in 2014
Why I read this book: I heard a lot about it on booktube, and people seemed to really like it. So I figured, why not give it a shot.
My rating: 4,5 stars

Goodreads synopsis: The dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell, a life in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead, called "Histories", rest in the Archive. 

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da i dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper is dangerous and a constant reminder of those she lost, Da and her little brother. Mac wonders about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. Yet someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

My thoughts: In the beginning I had trouble getting into the story, and had some trouble adjusting to the writing style. But after 30 pages or so I was completely immersed in the story, and I read the second half of the book in one sitting. Even though I was supposed to be sleeping and had school in the morning. There was a few things I didn't like, but they weren't that big and didn't ruin the story for me. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book, The Unbound, to see where Mackenzie's story will develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment